Chicken Imperial

This is a recipe from Tasty Traditions the Providence Presbyterian Church Cookbook. I believe copies of this cookbook are still available for $15 a piece. It is Rod McDonald's recipe; I first had a taste of it at the Valentine's Banquet at Providence. It is the best oven fried chicken recipe I have ever tasted.

12 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 cups bread crumbs
1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1-1/2 cups sliced almonds
1-1/2 sticks of butter  (I use less at home and it turns out fine, 1 stick is plenty)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish. Melt and cool butter to a livable temperature. Ina large mixing bowl, using a slotted spoon, stir together the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, parsley, and almonds. Dip each chicken breast into the melted butter and then into the bread crumb mixture. Pack the breasts with the mixture, roll them up and place them in the baking pan. Put a small pat of butter atop each breast or pour leftover melted butter on top. Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes uncovered.
The chicken turns out to be very tender this way.  I made my own variation tonight because I did not have Parmesan or almonds.  I omitted the Parmesan, almonds and all of the seasonings. I added a pack of ranch seasoning mix to the bread crumbs and proceeded with the rest of the recipe. It was good.

I served it with buttermilk biscuits and broccoli salad.

Other serving suggestions, a green salad and a baked potato with buttered french bread.

Comments

Post a Comment