Pancake Syrup

In an effort to avoid high fructose corn syrup I have been making my own pancake syrup for a while. Don't even mention buying real maple syrup. That stuff is too expensive to buy on a regular basis. My mom and I started making pancake syrup before I was married, and I've continued this after I got married. However, I've been mostly disappointed in my attempts at making good pancake syrup. It is always too watery or it has too much or not enough flavoring in it. Well I did it! I made a good batch of pancake syrup. Finally, something that satisfies me. :)

Here it is:
1 cup of water
2 cups sugar (white or brown)
1/2 teaspoon of maple flavoring
1 tablespoon of smart balance margarine (or butter if you like)

Boil the water and mix the sugar, maple flavoring and smart balance in it, cut the heat down a little bit. Cook the syrup for 5-10 minutes. Then let it cool. It will thicken a little as it cools. A light film will develop on the top, just stir that back into the syrup before you pour it into a bottle to serve later. I put my syrup in an old pancake syrup bottle and keep it in the refrigerator.

Comments